If you’re looking for a certified teacher to conduct an annual homeschool evaluation for your child, College Direct is here for you. All our tutors are certified teachers and can perform the evaluation. Homeschooling is growing across the United States as parents experience dissatisfaction with the established school system whether public or private and choose to take control of their children’s education.
South Florida Homeschool Support
If you are new to homeschooling and are not sure when the annual evaluation is due, you must check the date of your Notice of Intent. The evaluation must be conducted on this anniversary. For example, if you filed to homeschool on November 18, then the annual evaluation is due on every November 18. Please be advised that school districts cannot dictate when THEY want you to submit an evaluation. In other words, you do not need to necessarily submit an evaluation at the end of the academic school year (June) if your child started the homeschooling process within a different time frame. This is according to Florida Statute which is very clear as to how homeschool annual evaluations are to be conducted.
“The parent shall provide for an annual educational evaluation in which is documented the student’s demonstration of educational progress at a level commensurate with her or his ability. The parent shall select the method of evaluation and shall file a copy of the evaluation annually with the district school superintendent’s office in the county in which the student resides. The annual educational evaluation shall consist of one of the following: Statute 1002.41(1)(c)”
Methods of conducting Annual Homeschool Evaluations
- Review of portfolio: A teacher selected by the parent shall evaluate the student’s educational progress upon review of the portfolio and discussion with the student. Such teacher shall hold a valid regular Florida certificate to teach academic subjects at the elementary or secondary level;
- Nationally normed test: The student shall take any nationally normed student achievement test administered by a certified teacher;
- State Assessment: The student shall take a state student assessment test used by the school district and administered by a certified teacher, at a location and under testing conditions approved by the school district;
- Psycho-Ed Evaluation: he student shall be evaluated by an individual holding a valid, active license pursuant to the provisions of s. 490.003(7) or (8);This refers to a psychological evaluation and is an expensive choice but may be worth pursuing if you have a special needs child or one who learns differently.
- Any other method mutually agreed upon by the district and the parent: The student shall be evaluated with any other valid measurement tool as mutually agreed upon by the district school superintendent of the district in which the student resides and the student’s parent.
At College Direct, we prefer to use the review of portfolio method of evaluation. We find that it is a less stressful experience for the student and the parents. A portfolio evaluation can take approximately 20 minutes to conduct. This is sufficient time for the teacher to go over the material, interview the student and ask questions related to the student’s work. The cost for this evaluation is $45 per child. To make an appointment to schedule an evaluation please call 954-292-1350.
Important Contact Information for Homeschooling Families: